Thursday, March 28, 2013

One by one


Bare feet on grey stone. 

The ever growing puddles seep between my toes as I step across the driveway. 

That smell, the smell of rain. Years later a friend would hypothesize that the smell comes from dirt getting wet, or something like that. But right now, the thought doesn't even cross my mind.

I am fourteen-years-old.

I feel the drops on my arms, my face. One by one.

Then I dash back inside.

(Two days later I develop a cold that will linger for two more weeks.

But I still think it was worth it.)

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful memory. What clean writing, it leaves such a strong impression with it's simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clear and precise. I can picture you doing just this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you talked about the smell of rain--a phenomenon that everyone thinks about, and so makes it relatable. And it fills out your scene--to have multiple senses being utilized. Well done.

    ReplyDelete