Thursday, May 1, 2014

Prompt #8: People are Good

This is not going to be nearly as philosophical as some of you might be hoping (or dreading). I do not intend to go into a great and inspirational speech about the nature of man and how people are decent and blah blah blah. Do I think that stuff is interesting and thought-provoking? Yes. Do I feel that other people really want to hear my thoughts on it? No, at least, not in this setting.
The title is referring to my feeling on having people around. It is good (for me). I am currently house sitting for my sister and her husband while they adventure in South America. My responsibilities include feeding cats, fish and a dog. Cleaning the litter box, taking Ruby (the dog) out to do her business and to go for walks. Also, cleaning the place so that it isn't gross and covered in animal hair, moving cars in the street so they don't get towed, and running them for a few minutes every few days so that they so just sit for two weeks. All this is rather easy to stay on top of, so I made sure to bring my computer and a couple books. I could do some job-finding (because job-hunting is so disappointing), get some writing done, finish a couple books that I've needed to finish for a while, and use their game systems and Netflix and Hulu.
All in all it's a pretty sweet setup for a couple weeks, but here's the thing, I am by myself. I figured all the stuff I just listed would keep my brain busy, and it does, but I still get kind of stir crazy by the end of the day. I've had some good conversations with Ruby. She's a great listener but there's only so much you can talk with a dog about. I never really thought it would be that big of a deal for me to be alone like this. I mean, I spend most of my time watching movies and TV anyway, so why should this be much different? Because I can't pause it and say anything to my Dad or roommate or friend. There is nobody, and I don't live in the area, so I don't have anybody to invite over. I have really come to appreciate living with other people. Sure, it can be annoying when bathroom schedules conflict, or dishes don't get done, or your food gets eaten, but being alone for too long is much worse. I don't want to complain, because it's not too bad (I've had some good phone conversations), it's just not something I would like to do for much longer than a couple weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I like the voice that you use here, specifically the comments in parenthesis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very relaxed and easy-going voice. It matches the setting, and adds a nice parallelism. I'm glad that you clarified the part about Ruby. :)

    ReplyDelete