Tuesday, April 16, 2013

advice needed

I have been working on this little essay off and on again for the past few weeks. I am feeling a little better about it now but still wondering if it needs a little help. Part of me just wants to post it on my personal blog and be done with it but here I have this wonderful group of writers who can help me make it better.

                          ~Alicia


Being pregnant is not my favorite state of being. The constant, seemingly eternal, and sometimes paralyzing nausea. The restless, painful  nights. Being physically unable when I so want (and need) to be able. And the fear of the impending future of giving birth. It can often feel so overwhelming and debilitating.

But through the struggle, I feel a divine sense of honor. Breathtaking and bewildering honor. To give my body over to God to let him form and create a body for one of his adored children. And not just any child, chosen haphazardly, but one specifically chosen to have this tiny forming body and to be a part of our particular family. To have Billy as her father and me as her mother.

Whether there is quiet or chaos all around me I feel the movements of a body so small. I feel serene and wondrous in the connection. I try to share some of those moments with Billy, willing him to feel the quick movements of our child, but I know he cannot really know. The fluid and rolling motion of little feet and little legs are mine alone to savor in all its resplendent vastness.

When I give myself space and time to think about what is really happening, all that is challenging and magnificent and scary all at once, I am overwhelmed with the brilliance and responsibility of my role as woman, mother, guardian, and teacher. And I celebrate that role.

3 comments:

  1. Alicia, this is beautiful. I specifically love the last two paragraphs. The first paragraph seemed a little choppy to me. Maybe consider using semicolons, or...? I don't know. Again, it really is beautiful as it is, so you can even ignore this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Allison. I agree. The first paragraph is choppy. I need to learn the art of the semicolon:) Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I would not change the line "Being physically unable when I so want (and need) to be able." That is a great line! Sums up a lot about the inconvenience of pregnancy in that one concise line.

    ReplyDelete